Holy Currencies Incubation Program | Fall 2019
Location: Various Locations
Sponsor: Kaleidoscope Institute and EHF
Episcopal Health Foundation’s
Holy Currencies Incubation Program 2019
Applications are due Friday, June 14, 2019
Please contact one of our Congregational Engagement Officers, Eric Moen or Willie Bennett to discuss your application and other ways your congregation may partner with the Episcopal Health Foundation!
About Holy Currencies
Holy Currencies is a model for developing congregational ministries created by the Kaleidoscope Institute(KI), part of the Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles. This model has been used internationally to strengthen the impact and sustainability of community-oriented ministries. It includes six “currencies”, or resources that, when combined, can lead to a more transformational ministry. Each currency highlights a way to examine the ministry and add value:
- The Currency of Time and Place ensures you have appropriate human and physical resources to support implementation of your plan
- The Currency of Gracious Leadership creates a welcoming approach to those with whom you want to support and connect
- The Currency of Relationship examines potential partnerships that could add value to your work
- The Currency of Truth creates a positive process for learning about the wants and needs of your community and beneficiaries , and how the ministry might best support them
- The Currency of Wellness ensures that the work you are doing enhances the physical, mental and spiritual health of your congregation and community
- The Currency of Money explores how the ministry can become a sustainable resource for the community for years to come.
In addition to taking congregations through the process of understanding each of the Currencies, Kaleidoscope Institute has developed tools and resources for congregations that support their planning for and implementation of the community ministry.
About EHF’s Holy Currencies Incubation Program
EHF is looking for Episcopal congregations within the Episcopal Diocese of Texas with either 1) existing ministries that they would like to expand or better connect to the community, or 2) clear commitments to future initiatives for which the Holy Currencies model could contribute to the impact and success of the initiative.
We expect to support, through the technical assistance of the Kaleidoscope Institute, a cohort of between 5 and 8 Episcopal congregations to learn and apply the Holy Currencies model to incubate a specific ministry. Each congregation will commit a team of 4-6 people who will participate at the in-person, web-based training and lead the development of the initiative with their congregation and community.
This cohort will begin in September 2019, with formal training concluding in March 2020. Participating congregations are expected to apply the learning and tools of Holy Currencies to their ministry.
Overview of the Incubation Process
- Submit Application by June 14, 2019.
- Orientation Training at Artesian Lakes in Cleveland, TX (September 13-14, 2019: Starts at noon on Friday, September 13th and ends at 5:00pm on Saturday, September 14th): Recruit a team of 4-5 leaders from your church and attend the Holy Currencies Incubation Orientation. The orientation will cover the currencies of gracious leadership and relationship.
- Site Visitation: Your team will be visited in your community early in the incubation program by a consultation team (KI and EHF associates) to learn more about your church and its ministries, and to establish coaching relationships.
- Four Webinars: Your church team attends four 2-hour webinars (live with Eric Law) over a 4-month period covering the currencies of time and place, truth, wellness and money.
- Congregation ministry development: Between webinars, your church team will be required to complete 5 assignments engaging the team and congregation in a discernment process. A final “business ministry plan” will be due at the end of the summer.
- New Ministry Presentations: Your church team participates in an in-person training session for sharing the incubated business ministry plan design and action-plan with potential partners and/or funders.
Benefits of Holy Currencies for your Ministry
- Better understanding of how your initiative can draw from a variety of assets, skills and approaches to strengthen the benefit to the community
- Support to develop a specific plan for enhancing the ministry, learning new theories and models, and direct application of new skills and tools
- Development of structures that better support sustainability for years to come
- Potential for coaching or seed funding following completion of the incubation process
- Acquisition of insights and experiences from other teams in the cohort
Holy Currencies Key Dates
- June 14, 2019: applications due
- June 14 - 28, 2019: application review may include a phone call with EHF and KI to discuss application for short-listed applicants, if needed
- By July 17, 2019: selected congregations and church teams notified
- September 13-14, 2019: two day in-person training in Houston with your Congregational Holy Currencies Team (travel, lodging and meals paid by EHF)
- October 2019-February 2020: monthly 2-hour evening webinars (day to be determined, likely Tuesdays) for your team with Kaleidoscope Institute and EHF to learn more about the application of all six currencies; teams will also complete their assignments and create a “business ministry plan” that strategically leverages the currencies, increases sustainability, and strengthens community connection.
- Beginning March 2020: opportunity to solidify your implementation plans resulting from the incubation process, and/or submit a proposal for further coaching and/or time-limited financial support.