Church leaders continue to identify and recognize poverty as a complex issue with major implications for the health of those in their community. Right now, EHF is developing a program focused on poverty relief that will launch later this year. We’re interested in hearing from congregations doing work in this area, or who have strong interest and ideas for what a poverty reduction program could look like.
Last year, we developed the Poverty and Economic Insecurity section of our website resource center to help congregations learn more about poverty, find organizations working to alleviate poverty, and discover poverty reduction programs currently happening in and around the Diocese.
We know there are congregations and Episcopal groups actively working to reduce poverty and create economic stability in their community beyond the charity-based models of food and clothing donations, and we want to hear from you.
Send us your story!
We’d love to hear about the innovative ways you’re tackling poverty in your community. Sharing your story may help other congregations realize what is possible and provide further ideas for action! Stories can focus on current outreach programs, work developing in the community, partnerships with community organizations, events taking place in your community or personal stories about people who have been touched by the outreach a congregation has done to address poverty.
Here are just a few ideas of stories you can share:
- An explanation of how your congregation approached poverty and economic insecurity in your community or would like to address it
- Training sessions or conferences you’ve attended that have supported your congregational work focused on poverty
- An example of partnerships which help to connect community members to job training or employment support
- Stories of how your congregation has connected with social service agencies to connect community members to benefits enrollment
- Upcoming events being held through your congregation or with community partners to create awareness or educate on poverty
You can also tell us about outreach ministries that help reduce poverty on our new EHF Churches Facebook Group. It’s a great way to share your ideas directly with other congregations!
The stories sent to EHF may be used in our various publications, on our website, or shared via social media outlets.
Have an interest in poverty initiatives and don’t know where to start? Please email us, we’d love to speak with you about how EHF can partner with you!