Activate communities by strengthening organizations and congregations to build health-promoting communities
Community and congregation members actively shape healthy communities and influence health systems to improve health equity
STRATEGY6: Support organizations to raise the voices of community members to influence community health
This outcome and strategy articulate how EHF envisions activating communities to address health-related opportunities and challenges affecting their neighborhoods. Our grantmaking supports community organizations that are capable of engaging community members, particularly low-income and vulnerable populations, to become advocates for health and to support communities in adopting new ways of problem solving. All efforts should have a goal of developing positive influence on the health of community members.
Examples of this kind of work include but are not limited to:
- Building the capacity of community organizations by helping them assess their strengths and opportunities and to undertake organizational development activities that address those health-related factors
- Increasing the number and reach of grassroots community organizing groups that advocate for community health
- Supporting the development of new leaders within communities
- Ensuring that client-facing community partners have the skills and resources needed to actively engage those they serve as influential beneficiaries
- Strengthening existing health coalitions
- Supporting community organizations to use hospital community benefit data to encourage investment in the social determinants of health
STRATEGY7: Support congregations in action
We recognize the important role that the faith community can play in creating conditions to promote community health. EHF supports our congregations in this work through the efforts of our congregational engagement team, however, we do not provide funding opportunities for congregations through this application process. To learn about this work, including how congregations may access financial support, please visit the “For Congregations” section of our website.